Saturday, August 27, 2011

Purpose, not panic

Well, it's a little breezy outside, and the rain has started to fall.  It looks like the next 24 hours in and around Our Nation's Capital will be a little difficult--for some more than others.  For many, the storm itself will be the overture for many days without power, cable, broadband, and, perhaps, water.

I don't expect the storm to offer much more than some discomfort for me.  I don't have to worry about trees crushing my house, although my loved ones here are another story.  Flooding isn't a concern, here.  I should have adequate supplies of food and water.

I'm not looking forward to what's to come.  I enjoy my creature comforts.  I like keeping track of what's happening on line.  I like to cook, because I love to eat.  I may be biased, but I am happy to have cable.

On the other side of the coin, power outages offer silence, a marked reduction in the number of distractions, and the opportunity to have my waking hours revert to a more natural cycle, if only for a few days.  As a friend remarked, "If you can't get to a retreat, the retreat is coming to you."

Mostly, my reaction to the coming storm is one of gratitude.  Over the next several days, I may be looking for ice.  I may run out of water.  I may need to extend a hand to others.  The contents of my fridge may spoil.  I don't know what I may have to deal with, but I do know that I won't be searching for an open liquor store.  That gives me the opportunity to manage the rest with equanimity and maybe even some competence.

So, with gratitude, it's back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment